Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tea Pot or Magic Lamp?



Jay Gee's Nook's current challenge is to create a card inspired by the above pictures.  I love that tea pot clock and I'm really digging yellow & turquoise these days.  I pulled out a couple of Stampendous stamps and used one to make my own background design and the other to paper piece the tea pot. 

Supplies: Card Blank: Handy Hippo; Cardstock: Bazzil, Paperbilities; Stamps: Stampendous, Elzybells, PTI; Inks: VersaFine Onyx Black, VersaMark; Die: PTI, Nestabilities
When I put this card together and sat back and looked at it I thought, "Huh.  That tea pot kind of looks like a magic lamp."  Then I told myself I was being silly - magic lamps are longer and sleeker and only my silly brain would see this as a magic lamp.  It's quite an obvious card - when you're sick you have a nice cup of tea!  Skip ahead to later in the day and I'm showing the card to my mom.  She looks perplexed for a moment then says, "Oh I get it.  The genie in the lamp will make you feel better right?"  Guess where I inherited that silly brain from??

7 comments:

Karen B. said...

I think it is wonderful! That's the great thing about crafting, open to much interpretation.

kasia c. said...

Oooooh! Great card! I love the background you created. And I gotta say, I see the magic lamp too. :)

Lynn said...

Too funny..I say magic pot too! Love the embossing!

Emily Leiphart said...

LOL, that is too funny! It looks like a tea pot to me and the sentiment looks like it was formed by the steam. Love it!

Jay Gee said...

I am going to sit on the fence with this one Jen, I can see both! It's a sweet card and I love the background. Thank you for joining us at Jay Gee's :)

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Hi Jen!

Awesome interpretation of the challenge - super clever!!

First, I wanted to thank you for your recent kind comments on my blog posts. Your words are so meaningful to me, and are truly appreciated. Please forgive my late reply to your question about the Sew Mini. My family has been here for the last 17 days, so needless to say my time on the computer and responding to emails has been limited. As for the Sew Mini – I adore mine. I sewed many, many years ago, but hadn’t really sewn anything since my youngest daughter was an infant. So when I picked up the Sew Mini, I was worried that I wouldn’t remember and that the quality would be less than desired on my papercrafting projects. Happily, I’ve not been disappointed at all. But I can tell you that the key to sewing is in the threading and bobbin placement. It is imperative that you thread the machine EXACTLY as instructed. Most often, the bobbin is placed in it’s slot with the thread going the wrong direction (it should be inserted into it’s slot with the thread running clockwise). Another likely problem is again with the bobbin. The thread needs to be pulled through the tiny metal slot on the left side of the bobbin slot, and it should be pulled until you feel it pop. If you’d like me to take pictures of what I’m talking about and send them to you, I’d be happy to do that. Lastly, you need to make sure that your spool of thread is running in the correct direction (again clockwise) when you’re threading it through the machine. What is your tension knob set at? That sometimes has an effect as well, but if you’re sewing is unraveling, my guess is that it’s because your machine isn’t threaded correctly – a very common mistake.

Thank you again for your kind comments. I’ve added your blog to my RSS feed and look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work. Let me know if you’d like me to send pics of how my machine is threaded.

Have a great day!!

Hugs!

Karolyn Loncon
garkarlon@msn.com

Unknown said...

This card is awsome, and yes, I think it looks like a genie bottle LOL! Thanks for playing along with us this month ... Ange