Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Literary Card


I had to play along with CAS-ual Fridays this week as the challenge was to create a card using black, white and red that is inspired by a book.  Brilliant! The only thing that makes my craft stash look paltry is my book collection!  :)  I have been a lifelong book lover and never go anywhere without one in my bag - just in case!  Anyway the inspiration for my card come from the fabulous kid's book "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.  My inspiration is pretty literal as you can see using both stamped and punched ferns and one of the gorgeous sentiments from PTI's Botanical Silhouettes collection.  (I love the mixed fonts).


Hurricane Katia is moving past us today.  Thankfully she's about 330 miles away from us so while it's windy and grey and the south shore beaches are closed, that seems to be the worst we're going to get from her.  Now we just have to keep an eye on Tropical Storm Maria who seems to be on a similar track to Katia.  The last two times we got clobbered really badly (by Emily in 1987 and  by Fabian in 2003) were both in September so it's a tense month for us.  We got really lucky last year when Igor came through.  It was up to a Category 5 at one point but by the time he got to us he'd miraculously downgraded to a Category 1.  Whew!  Let's hope the luck holds out this year...




Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Bazzill Basics, (Basic Black & Cherry Cobbler) Stampin' Up
Stamps:  (Ferns from Turning a New Leaf & sentiment from Botanical Silhouettes) PTI
Ink:   (Cherry Cobbler) Stampin' Up, (Onyx Black) VersaFine
Impression Plate:  (Linen & Canvas) PTI
Ribbon:  Stampin' Up
Punches: Woodware Craft Collection

13 comments:

Jay Gee said...

Lovely card Jen. Love the way you have done the sentiment and the dimension of those ferns. So glad to see you lucky streak is holding :)

Deborah Frings said...

It's simply beautiful! I love the red and black fern and the sentiment is lovely. I'll keep my fingers crossed about the weather!

Vicky Hayes said...

I'm not familiar with the book but this is beautiful Jen. Hope those storms leave you in peace this year.

Lynn said...

Jen, this is perfection! I love how you cut out the sentiment to accent it as well!

Karen B. said...

I sure hope that those hurricanes are nice to you! I absolutely adore Where the Red Fern Grows, as do my two boys. As I type, our red bone coon hound, Tucker, is baying at some sort of wildlife-there bays are louder than anything in the neighborhood! Great bits of red color too, great card. Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!

Lindsey said...

I couldn't name the book when I first looked at your card, but as soon as you named it, I realized it was perfect! Beautiful card.

Anonymous said...

Love how you did the sentiment and those leaves are gorgeous:) Thanks for playing this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

Jaclyn Miller said...

We love that book around here. This is a great representation of it - your fern leaves are gorgeous. Thank you so much for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays.

Laura Davis said...

Very pretty!
Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
Laura

Jenny said...

This is so pretty Jen, I love the design and the fussy cut sentiment too.
You must be living on your nerves during hurricane season! Hope they all avoid the rock :)
Jenny x

Anonymous said...

Fab CAS design! LOVE the way you have cut out the sentiment, it's a real highlight!

Emily Leiphart said...

This is beautiful, Jen! I love the simple design.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Hope Maria was kind to you!? I do love this CAS card. Great choice of your "red"! Hugs xxaxx