Sunday, March 6, 2016

Party Cats & Dogs


The other day I got busted by a lady who buys my cards from the animal hospital:  

"Jen, I love your cards but you've been on a bit of a flower bender lately.  More dog and cat cards please!"

She's right.  I have tons of animal stamps  but I keep reaching for easy, often used images especially flowers and balloons.  For some reason I'm always apprehensive about using stamps for the first time which is pretty silly.  It's not like you can use them incorrectly.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Anyway I steered myself to the animal stamps and pulled out Party Grumplings - a Taylored Expressions set that was totally NBUS despite me being desperate to get my hands on it.   How cute is that grumpy kitty?  I paper pieced him but used a colour as the base layer (instead of my usual white) to make him pop a bit more.  I got that idea from Courtney Kelley who is my fussy cutting and paper piecing idol (see here and here specifically).  I LOVE her style!  

I'm going to enter this card in the Seize the Birthday Anything Goes challenge.    


Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Papertrey Ink, (Pink Pirouette, Poppy Parade, Soft Suede, Basic Black) Stamping' Up
Patterned Paper:  (Flags & light beige from Dear Lizzy Neapolitan 6x6, Textured beige from Mayberry 6x6) American Crafts
Stamps:  (Cat & sentiment from Party Grumplings) Taylored Expressions
Inks:  (VersaMark, VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko
Embossing Powder:  (Opaque Bright White Super Fine) Wow
Die:  (Stitched Arch Stax) My Favourite Things



Sticking with the animal theme I made this card using the current design at Freshly Made Sketches.  This time I used some Lawn Fawn stamps and some Echo Park papers.  Now that I'm looking at it on the screen I'm kind of wishing I'd put a party hat on the pooch.  May have to go back and do that...  

That's it for now.  Hope you all had a lovely weekend!


Supplies Used:
Cardstock:  (White) Papertrey Ink
Patterned Paper:  (This & That Graceful 6x6) Echo Park
Stamps:  (Dog from Critters at the Dog Park, Cupcake from Bake Me a Cake, Sentiment from So Much to Say) Lawn Fawn
Inks:  (VersaFine Onyx Black) Tsukineko
Die:  (Stitched Rectangle) Mama Elephant
Gems:  Recollections

9 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

The look on that cat's face is priceless, what a FUN card!! Love the patterned pup and sweet cupcake. These are both fabulous Jen!!

Joyce said...

These are both adorable. Let's hear it for the cats and dogs. Even the grumpy ones.

Karren said...

Gorgeous cards! That dog is just too, too cute! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Shelly said...

Haha! Your first card is just too funny! Love it! And what an adorable second card!

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Oh, I absolutely know what you mean about using new stamps. I always think 'they're so nice and I'm gonna make them look rubbish'
You've done a fabulous job with these though. 2 super, cute animal cards.
xx

I Card Everyone said...

Woo freakin' Hoo is right, Jen!!! My gosh if this doesn't make that lady happy, nothing will! LOve that puppy butt in the air!
=]

Sharyn Polesel said...

Both cards are very cute....love the animal theme. Thanks for playing along with us at Seize the Birthday!

Bobby said...

Grumpy cat is all the rage, Jen, so your card fits right in. But then there's that cute dog.

Lindsey said...

I just bought Party Grumplings! I find that with new stuff I usually just have to admire it for awhile before I use it. :D Paper piecing on black/coloured paper is a brilliant idea. The dog card is cute, too! I will say, you can rarely go wrong putting a party hat on a pooch.